Friday, March 27, 2015

sticky chicken with bacon and leek

Something I used to make my family growing up we called sticky tuna. It remains one of my dad's favourite things to eat when he visits. Basically it is tuna and noodles with some peas, sauted onions and cheese all blended together. I don't make it much any more as neither of my guys will eat tuna but the other week I had some leftover chicken from a slow roasted bird and thought of making a sticky version with chicken. Et voila. My husband loved it. The boy still hasn't warmed up to the idea of noodles yet so he had just chicken and cheese. Meanwhile I'm kicking myself that this never occurred to me before so we could have been eating this all along.


Sticky Chicken with Bacon and Leek
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 medium leek, halved and sliced into half moons, washed well
2 rashers bacons, sliced
3 tbsp butter
10 mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp flour
1 3/4 c milk
1/2 tsp mustard powder
2 c of leftover chicken, diced
1 package egg noodles
1 c frozen peas
1 c medium cheddar, grated

Saute the onion, leek and bacon in the butter in a largish saucepan over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add the flour and milk and stir until blended. Add the mustard powder and chicken and heat for a couple of minutes. Add the noodles and cover. Stir every couple of minutes or so, adding more milk or some water if the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan. As the noodles approach al dente, add in the peas and the cheese, stirring to mix.

 Keep cooking until the noodles are completely cooked and the mixture starts to brown on the bottom (that's the sticky part). Serve warm.

No comments: