Sunday, January 20, 2013

southwestern potato salad

I found this recipe over at Everyone Loves Sandwiches in her year end favorites list. I was intrigued by the list of ingredients, all of which I had except for the third sweet potato. And when I was reading the recipe the idea to add farro to the salad lodged itself in my head and wouldn't leave. So that is how I made it. And when I make it again, I will add the farro again.


Southwestern Potato Salad (adapted from Everyone Loves Sandwiches)
2 yams, diced
1 T vegetable oil
1 T chili powder
1/2 t chili flakes (or cayenne)
1 T ground cumin
1 c frozen corn
1/4 c minced red onion
1 c black beans, cooked
1 c farro, cooked

1/4 c vegetable oil
juice of 2 limes
2 cloves garlic, minced
a splash of red wine vinegar (optional)
a dash paprika and celery salt
1/2 t ground cumin
pinch of salt & a good grind of black pepper
crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl, combine the diced yams with the oil, chili powder, cumin and chili flakes. Dump out evenly onto a prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, add corn into the same bowl and toss to gather up any of the remaining spice & oil. Remove yams from oven and toss for even cooking, adding in the corn. Bake for another 15 minutes.


In a large serving bowl, add in the black beans, farro and red onion.


Combine the remaining ingredients into a small jar and shake until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Remove the corn and yams from the oven and add into the bean mixture. Pour over dressing and toss the salad well.

A couple of notes -I found the dressing made much more than we needed for the salad and it makes quite a lot. It served 2 of us for supper and we had 3 lunches with the leftovers.

No comments: