Saturday, October 6, 2012

buttermilk waffles


For once it felt like I had a bit of breathing space this morning. September seems to have whizzed by in a flurry of forms, special events, meetings and stuff - new practises, therapy appointments, etc. I added running to the mix for me and this year, soccer for the boy means practise once a week as well as games so it's been a bit to settle into. Soccer was cancelled for the weekend, due to our holiday Monday, so after a brief spell of knitting and tea in the quiet morning (as the men were sleeping in), I took it into my head to make waffles.

Now, I've never really been a waffle fan. I've preferred pancakes to waffles and if given the choice I would always go with eggs rather than either pancakes or waffles. It is entirely down to Tara at tea and cookies that I even have a waffle iron, as she has been posting the most delicious and delectable waffle recipes all year until I finally broke down and bought one a few weeks ago. My husband always eats waffles when we are away in Oregon, every breakfast he eats his weight in waffles with berry sauce. So I made waffles. For the recipe, I went with a simple buttermilk waffle recipe from my American Test Kitchen Cookbook. Flour, salt, baking soda, butter, eggs and buttermilk (I made it using milk and 2 tbsp lemon juice) and waffle batter was ready. Ok - so you have to melt the butter, separate the eggs and beat up the egg whites until they are fluffy but it was really simple.


The recipe even said how long to cook the waffles, 3 1/2 minutes. And the waffles were lovely.


As we have a fall nip in the air in the mornings and evenings, I decided to serve the waffles with carmelized apples - 3 apples, butter, a dash of cinnamon and a spoon of brown sugar all heated together until soft and lovely.

And I have enough waffles left over to have them for breakfast tomorrow, with carmelized pears I think. Maybe I am a waffle person after all!

No comments: