Saturday, September 15, 2012

bring appies

I don't know about you but this phrase had me sweating a bit a couple of weeks ago, especially since I think that most of the members of the household that were so kindly hosting the dinner, have issues with gluten. Most of my appies tend to be of the puff pastry variety. Although when people come over here, I often have a bowl of chips, some olives, spiced nuts and a dip or something similar. Anyway, so there I was in a sweat, rummaging through my recipe file trying to find a simple appetizer when I remembered a smoked salmon roll-up I'd seen a Food Network chef do once. So I googled. And in the end I came up with this lovely -


Smoked Salmon Roll up with Goat Cheese (inspired by Michael Smith)

1/2 lb smoked salmon (from our local market - yummy)
4 oz goat cheese
1 lemon's worth of zest
1 heaping tsp of capers
a handful of dill

Lay a largish piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Lay the smoked salmon pieces out into as close to a rectangle as you can manage, with as few gaps as you can manage.

In a food processor, whiz the goat cheese, lemon zest, capers and dill together until creamy. Spread this over the salmon as evenly as you can. Starting with the long end close to you, roll up the salmon and cheese until log shaped. Wrap tightly with the plastic wrap and roll to shape. Place in the fridge for at least an hour or the freezer for 20 minutes. Take out, remove the plastic and cut into pieces. I made about 10 pieces with this recipe.

I also made the easy, cheesy artichoke dip from Dinner, a Love Story to take as well. Both were delicious and a big hit.


No comments: