Monday, August 6, 2012

in a rut

I was in a bit of a cooking rut this week - and what I ended up cooking, and what we ended up eating was mostly a riff on this recipe that I found in Bon Appetit this month. Now I'd love to be in Tuscany, eating the lovely food profiled in the article but as I'm not, this had to do. We had it pretty much as written last Sunday night,


along with some tacos. Mine were salmon, my husband's were chicken. The following night, I still had zucchini and potatoes along with some corn, so I made the same thing with corn added and served alongside sausages. A couple of nights later I still had potatoes and corn and a big bunch of kale, so I made it into a hash and put poached eggs on top.


Potato and Kale hash with poached egg (inspired by Ruth Rogers in Bon Appetit)

6-8 small new potatoes, diced
olive oil
1 medium orange pepper, diced
1 bunch kale, stems stripped off, slivered
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off
4-6 large button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme

Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a large saute pan, and add the potatoes. Let the potatoes sit for about 3-4 minutes and then turn. Cook for another 5 or more minutes, until tender. Remove the potatoes to a bowl.

Add another tbsp of oil to the pan, add the peppers, mushrooms, garlic and kale and saute until tender. Add the corn kernels at the last minutes and move around the pan to heat up. Add the thyme. Add the potatoes back in and let meld together for a minute or so. Keep warm while poaching the eggs. Serve the hash with a poached egg on top of each serving.

It's a pretty good rut to be in.

No comments: