Sunday, April 29, 2012

chocolate chip nut bars

Last week our boy and I decided we should bake some cookies and of course, he choose chocolate chip cookies. But he wanted the square kind (bar cookies). I've made a few recipes lately but this time, I went back to my mum's recipe box and found this recipe for chocolate chip nut bars. Actually, there are 2 of these, one handwritten and one typed in the box (our boy wants to appropriate the box and use it as a treasure chest). I seem to recall that we got the recipe after we had these bars at someone's house but I can't remember who gave us the recipe. So, I made these, with some help from the boy, last week and they were gone almost immediately. Yesterday I made some more and they are almost all gone. My husband claims the cat is eating them but crumbs on his shirt would indicate otherwise.



Chocolate Chip Nut Bars (from Diana's recipe box)
1 c flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/3 c  butter
1 c brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg chocolate chips
1 c chopped nuts (I used hazelnuts)

Sift or blend flour, baking powder, soda and salt together. Cream butter, add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and then add the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips and nuts and turn into a greased 11x7 pan and bake at 350 deg F for 25-30 minutes and cool. Cut into squares and serve.


No comments: