Wednesday, August 31, 2011

summer on a stick



Last summer, I made one batch of this - as I didn't have popsicle molds, despite searching everywhere for them - I froze the mixture in a pyrex dish and served it up as ice cream. My husband raved about it and I ended up freezing bags containing 1 lb bags of strawberries (the everlasting ones from the fruit stand). But I only made the ice cream once more during the fall and come spring, I turned most of the bags into this, my husband's other favorite dessert. But when big baskets of strawberries came back to the fruit stand, I searched again for the recipe and made some again. I think I was confused the first time I made it and added too much milk as the flavour and colour weren't the same as I remember even though the result was good. I made a double batch last week as I had gone crazy and bought piles of day old strawberries. This time I read the recipe properly and the colour and flavour were exactly as I remember from last year. Try them - either as popsicles or ice cream - Roasted Strawberry Popsicles or Ice Cream. With balsamic vinegar and vanilla - it is seriously good.


Roasted Strawberry Popsicles (Ice Cream) from Sarah via makegrowgather
1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 1/2 tsps balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 c milk

Toss the strawberries, with the sugar,


vanilla and balsamic vinegar and pour into a baking pan. Roast for 2 hours at 275 deg F. Let cool for 15 minutes or more. Pour all the berries and any juice into a food processor and blitz for 30 seconds before adding the milk and cream. Blitz until relatively smooth. Pour into popsicle molds or into a pyrex dish. Freeze until hard (at least 4 hours).
  
rocket ship shaped popsicles

No comments: