Tuesday, April 26, 2011

chocolate meringue cookies

I had a couple of egg whites left over the other day, from making a batch of almond cookies



and some leftover chocolate frosting (apparently I don't use as much frosting on things as I should?). So I did what most people would do - made chocolate meringue cookies. I googled chocolate meringue cookies but the recipes all seemed super complicated (or maybe it was just me). In the end I went back to basics - Delia Smith's meringue recipe with some added cocoa powder.

2 large egg whites
4 oz (110 g) white sugar
2 tbsp sifted cocoa powder

Using a mixer and a very clean bowl, beat the egg whites on low until foamy, then speed up the mixing until the peaks are stiff. Slowly add the sugar while beating until the peaks are stiff and glossy. Then add the cocoa powder and beat until the peaks are stiff and glossy again. (You may want to slowly incorporate the cocoa powder into the mixture otherwise you may end up with a cocoa cloud in your kitchen - just saying!).

Drop the mixture by teaspoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350 deg F.


After 10 minutes turn the oven off and leave the merigues to dry out for at least an hour and a half or overnight.


Match the cookies up by size and frost the underside of one cookie and attach the underside of a similar size cookie to from a biggish kiss cookie.


Eat. Thank me for suggesting this.



PS. The Easter bunny ate the cookies we left after supper.

No comments: