Monday, April 25, 2011

accidents happen

This particular phrase has a soundtrack in my head. It's a song on one of the Thomas the Tank Engine DVD's and features the trains in a variety of "oops" situations. It seemed apt to describe this situation in my kitchen the other morning.


Our boy decided to change up the location of his train crashes and had me video him driving the trains over the "broken" track into the sink. So for posterity, now we have 4 videos of trains crashing into the sink. I had a couple of stipulations - no water and no turning on the garbage disposal.


I was facing down this accident.

Last week, when making my bread, I couldn't find my regular bread tin and used another one instead. Even though I greased it well, the bread still tore apart when it came out of the pan. So while I was able to use half the loaf for toast and sandwiches, the other half didn't seem to want to meld itself back together. I thought of using it for breadcrumbs but my breadcrumb stash is still quite high. So I decided to make bread pudding, a savory version for supper.

Savory Bread Pudding

~ 6 slices of bread, cubed
4 eggs
2 1/2 c milk
salt, pepper, oregano and thyme
2 c grated cheddar cheese
~ 6 large button mushrooms
1 bunch chard, slices into ribbons
1 red pepper sliced
1 tbsp butter

Beat together the eggs and milk and pour over the bread cubes in a bowl. Let sit for about an hour. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms, pepper and chard in the butter until the vegetables are slightly soft.

Pour the bread cube mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish, spread the vegetables over the top, somewhat evenly and scatter all the cheese over the top. Bake at 350 deg F for about an hour or until the egg sets and the top is golden brown.



You can use any cheese or any vegetables you have lying around for this.


No comments: