Thursday, January 27, 2011

Potato and cauliflower gratin

I made this a couple of weeks ago, and a week ago my brother-in-law was looking through the pics on my camera and came across it. “You take pictures of potatoes?” he cried. So I had to explain my weird blogger thing of taking pictures of my food and posting them to my blog.

For Sunday supper a few weeks ago I was planning to make creamy potatoes and I had a cauliflower that I was going to make a gratin with. Then it occurred to me (I’m a bit slow sometimes) that the potato dish and the cauliflower dish had basically the same ingredients and assembly so I should combine them into one bigger gratin. So I did. And while it is easier to combine them, it is also very tasty.

Potato and Cauliflower Gratin
Mummydinosaur original

1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
8 small to medium red potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1 c cream (or ½ c cream and ½ c stock)
¾ c grated gruyere cheese
Pinch of grated nutmeg

Oil a roasting pan and toss the cauliflower florets into the pan and roast at 375 deg F until the tips are brown, ~ 15-20 minutes. In a greased baking dish, (I used a 9x13) add one layer of potato slices, spread about half of the florets over the potatoes evenly, season with salt and pepper, add another layer of potatoes and then the second layer of cauliflower. Top with the remaining potatoes. Mix the cream, cheese and nutmeg together and pour evenly over the top of the potatoes. Cover with tin foil and bake for 50 minutes at 350 deg F. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more or until the top is golden brown.


No comments: