Tuesday, September 14, 2010

a peachy day

I had a big box of peaches


on my counter so on Sunday morning I started canning. I ended up around lunch time with 21 jars of canned peaches of various sizes and still had some peaches left over.



I also had a loaf of freshly baked bread.


So after a jaunt to the market and the grocery store, I settled in to make dinner. I made pork with peaches and blackberry based on this recipe, roasted potatoes (using potatoes from our farm trip the day before), sauted collard greens,




 and a peach struesel pie.

Here is how I made the pie - Peach Stuesel Pie
(inspired by a couple of recipes - sassy radish's honey bourbon caramel peach pie and apricot peach struesel pie in the Recipes Only Cookbook - Caroll Allen, June 1989, McGraw Hill Ryerson press)

1 recipe sweet pastry (I used this recipe)
3 lbs sliced peaches
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tbsp flour
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c sugar

In a bowl, combine the sliced unpeeled peaches (I've noticed that in baking with ripe peaches the peels tend to melt into the fruit so no need to peel them), cornstarch, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and sugar and mix together. Make the pastry and roll it out to fit the pie dish. Fill the pie with the peach filling, mounding the fruit in the center of the pie slightly.


Struesel Topping
1/2 c raw almonds
1/4 c flour
1/4 c brown sugar
2 tbsp butter

Pulse the almonds in a food processor until they are in smallish pieces but not meal. Add the flour and sugar and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse until well distributed. Pour the topping over the peach filling and distribute it as evenly as possible.

Bake the pie at 400 deg F for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a rack for 2-3 hours before serving.

It was yummy and I'm glad I went with less sugar than all the recipes I had so the pie has a lovely peachy nutty flavour.

No comments: