Friday, September 10, 2010

canning applesauce

Suddenly fall is in the air - summer may return for brief shining moments in the afternoon but mornings and evenings are crisper and call for cuddly things - nubby sweaters, cosy blankets, cups of tea. I'm sad to see the end of summer although the fruit stand is still full of corn and peaches and tomatoes and ever-bearing strawberries along side the first of the gala apples. T started back to preschool this week and it feels like we've left the lazy days behind and life is speeding up again - more traffic, more stress, more rush-rushing everywhere.

Monday, an extra day off this week, I spent some time in the kitchen. I made a couple of batches of oven dried tomatoes (sadly these came from the market and not from my garden). And then I made applesauce out of the bag of organic apples I'd won the day before.

5 lbs of apples, quartered
smidgeon of water

Toss the apples and water into a saucepan and heat over medium low heat until the apples are soft and mushy. Pour into a food mill and process over a bowl.


Discard the peels, cores, seeds and stems. Taste the applesauce and adjust seasoning as desired - sugar for sweetness or a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg if that is your taste. Pour the applesauce into hot, sterilized jars and process in a canning bath for 15 minutes (pints).



I didn't add any sugar or seasoning to this batch as it was delicious all on it's own. My apples yielded just over 4 250 mL jars.

No comments: