Monday, August 9, 2010

it seemed like a good idea

I read this lyrical description of a tangerine almond cake over here. So I bookmarked it and made it a couple of months ago. First I had to go find the tangerines, almonds and eggs. And one day, I made it. I don't think I baked it long enough as it was a very soggy cake - D and T both loved it as they thought it tasted like an orange creamsicle in cake form. It didn't keep very well so eat it up fast if you make it and make sure you bake it until done. And I think I need more experimenting with flourless cakes, because I am interested in gluten free baking. (And I know there are flour alternatives that you can use for gluten free baking - I'm always amazed by the wonderful ideas here).

Tangerine Almond Cake - from seven spoons from Nigella Lawson

4 medium tangerines
9 oz raw almonds
6 eggs
8 oz sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Place tangerines in a saucepan and cover with cold water (just), bring to a boil and simmer for about 2 hours (until the fruit is tender). Drain the fruit and cool. Over a bowl to catch the juice, pull apart each tangerine to remove the seeds. Discard the seeds and keep all the rest of the fruit and juice.

Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Lightly grease an 8" cake pan (with a removeable bottom), line with parchment paper and sides with a collar extending past the top of the pan.

In a food processor, grind the almonds to a fine meal. Add the tangerines and blend to a thick puree.


In a large bowl, add the tangerine juice and eggs and beat until blended. Stir in the sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Fold in the fruit nut mixture.


Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 1 hour (until the sides of the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan and a tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven to a rack to cool.

No comments: