Monday, August 2, 2010

I wanted it to be delicious...

I had two small eggplants and some potatoes on hand yesterday and my mind went to moussaka. But I didn't really have enough eggplant for the recipe. But I did have zucchini, corn and tomatoes. So I left the eggplant for another day and put together a dish that ended up looking like this -

I really wanted it to be amazing, spectacular...but in the end it was ok. Just ok. So I'm hoping that the leftovers will meld together into something better than ok.

I layered cooked, sliced potatoes, with grilled zucchini slices, corn kernels and spread a bit of a sauce made with some thyme oven roasted cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes, with lots of basil and garlic. Then I covered it with some moussaka sauce (3 tbsp olive oil, 3 tbsp butter, 120 g flour, 800 ml milk, salt, pepper, chili, 2 eggs, 100 g each feta and parmesan). Then I did another layer of potatoes, zucchini, corn and tomato mix followed by the rest of the sauce. I baked it at 350 deg F for 45 minutes.

It was good. I was just really hoping for some magic and this wasn't magic. I'll have to keep trying!

No comments: