Sunday, July 4, 2010

a strawberry day

I started this morning with a full basket of strawberries. But they'd been sitting in the fridge since yesterday and needed eating and I needed to make muffins for a couple of reasons, not the least of which was that our boy ate the second to last one as soon as he jumped out of bed. And I read this lovely post which got me dreaming of roasted strawberry goodness. I mixed the strawberries, balsamic vinegar and vanilla extract and put the roasting pan in the oven.


Then came the muffins. As is usual when I'm baking in the morning, I have to do a whole lot of other things while I'm baking. I make tea, and breakfast ( so you see a theme here?)


 and tidy dishes away and feed the cat and start laundry and sometimes I get to drink the tea and eat breakfast. I always fervently hope I don't get any of the multitude of things mixed up. I'm sure it makes me hopelessly confused and inefficient but as long as the bread gets made or the muffins get baked it seems to be working for me so far. Although one day I hope that I will get to drink my tea while it is still hot.

So while I was beating eggs into oil and weighing flour, our boy decided it would be a good time for him to clean the windows on the back door, mere inches from my baking counter. He collected a towel from me and proceeded to get it soaking wet in the bathroom and drag the soaking wet towel from the bathroom, through the dining room and to the kitchen to wash the windows.


I suggested he use the plant mister so he ran and got it. He did a good job on the windows and in the end I was left with somewhat clean but very wet windows, a very wet towel, very wet carpet and floor. But I have a boy interested in cleaning all on his own which is priceless.

I did get muffins in the oven


and baked. And once the strawberries for the popsicle recipe had roasted and cooled a bit, I added the sugar and then whizzed them in the food processor with cream and milk and put in a glass dish in the freezer to freeze - as I don't have a popsicle mold. We had it for dessert tonight - delicious! Seriously good stuff. So good in fact that I think I now have to buy a bunch more strawberries and freeze them so I can make this all the time! 



No comments: