Sunday, May 23, 2010

wanda's roasted yam pierogis

I'm extremely late making good on a promised Christmas present - a batch of yam pierogis for my sister-in-law. So yesterday I knuckled down to it. I opened my recipe book (if you don't have this book, I highly recommend it - all veggie recipes but a wide variety of lovely food. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient lists - most of the ingredients are fresh herbs). I had purchased a large number of yams a couple of days ago, so they went into the oven to roast.

Then I sauted leeks


and grated cheese.


The recipe calls for smoked gouda, I used half and half smoked gouda and sharp cheddar. And instead of caraway seeds I used celery salt. Then I peeled and pureed the roasted yams and added the yam to the leek and cheese mix.



While they guys were off at the park playing soccer, I mixed up the pierogi dough. Using my new pasta attachmend on my KitchenAid I rolled the dough into strips and started making the pierogi.


And making.


And making. I used my pierogi zipper (from Winnipeg!). (Do you like my Dora bandaid?)


I froze each pierogi on a baking sheet in the freezer, bagging them into dozens and freezing them.


I ended up with 2 short of 8 dozen. And I still have a vat of filling left over. Maybe more pierogis will be made tomorrow. D loves the filling all on it's own so by tomorrow there may be none left....

No comments: