Sunday, May 30, 2010

so I made cupcakes (chocolate ones)

It was my Dad's birthday the other day and I mentioned to T that we should call him. So T could sing Happy Birthday over the phone. T wanted to go over to his house right away. When I told him we couldn't T was very disappointed. "But then I won't get any". "Any what, honey?" "Cake, Mummy. I'll miss out on the cake if we don't go to Grampie's now".

So yesterday, I made chocolate cupcakes so T could have his favorite cake. I used a recipe out of Jennifer Low's "Kitchen for Kids".

1 1/4 c flour
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 c plus 1 tbsp sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter, soft
1 large egg
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white vinegar

I lined 12 muffin tins with paper cups and greased. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Stir the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
Beat together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg, milk and vanilla and beat together. Add the flour mixture and mix well to combine. Once smooth, add in the vinegar.
Add the batter to the muffin tins (the recipe makes 14, I filled (overfilled 12)). Bake for 27 minutes.


I frosted the cupcakes with a milk chocolate frosting in the book - although I barely had enough icing sugar - which meant the frosting was a bit thin and almost slides off the cupcakes.





The cupcakes passed the small boy taste test.




And the big boy taste test too!

No comments: