Thursday, May 20, 2010

eggs with creamy cheesy spinach

I'm in love with creamed spinach at the moment. Maybe its hormonal, maybe not. D hasn't complained yet about the various guises this has been served up at our table lately so maybe it's not just me. The other night I had two hard boiled eggs on tap for my supper and some spinach hanging around saying eat me so I went back to a version of a new favorite. I found the cookbook at Heathrow airport last year, while waiting for our flight home. It was part of a special two for package which in hindsight wasn't that great a deal but I forgot to do the pounds to dollars conversion in my head at the time (probably due to lingering stress over a huge detour on the way to the airport and getting up too early to make it to the airport and the end of a lovely holiday and missing my English family already...but enough of that). I don't remember what the other book was which probably means it was a novel and not a cookbook.

The recipe is for 2 people although with my adaptations it usually serves 3. (the pictures shown are when I made it last Monday using half of everything)

1 bag of spinach (~ 225 g)
4 large eggs, hard boiled
50 g butter
1 small onion, minced
1 1/2 c sliced mushrooms
25g flour
275 ml milk
75g grated sharp cheddar
splodge of cream (1-2 tbsp)
salt, pepper, cayenne, grated nutmeg

Saute the onion in the butter for a couple of minutes and then add the sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are slightly brown and the onion is soft. Add the flour and milk and whisk until smooth. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.


Add the cheese and season with salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne and grated nutmeg. Add the spinach and stir until the spinach is wilted. Add the cream. Into a greased dish, pour ~ 1/3 of the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish.

Layer the egg on top - I slice mine but the recipe calls for halved eggs nestled into the sauce. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top and pop into the oven under the broiler and bake until the top is bubbly and brown.



I've made this for supper and for brunch. It could easily take additional veggies or bacon/pancetta.

No comments: